Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm Soooo Excited!!!

Why, you ask??  Well, this little baby came in the mail today!!!


The minute I hit "Confirm Purchase" on Amazon, I was stoked!  I didn't realize how badly I wanted a sewing machine until that moment.  Needless to say, you will be seeing a post or two about the AMAZING things I'm going to make with my new little friend.

Okay, onto the real subject for today!

I recently joined the sharing site Pinterest and it has quickly become my new obssession (see point #18 under 20 Random Things About Me).  The problem with Pinterest (if there is one), is that you see all these amazing things but no way to actually implement them.  Well, "No more!" I say, I'm going to make one of these fabulous items!  So I did.

I'm a lover of earrings.  My motto, "The bigger, the better."  I will almost always buy a pair (or two) at Forever 21 and have to try really hard not to go crazy.  Needless to say, I have some storage issues when it comes to my ear's best friends.  I saw this lovely, lovely, lovely, earring holder on Pinterest



and thought, "Hmmmm, I could make that."

So I went out to my local consignment shop on the hunt for a huge, ornate mirror frame.  It was quite a hunt, but I found one!  So I picked up this baby for $18!!  Pretty good if you ask me!!!


My husband's reaction was not so enthusiastic.  "You want THAT?!"  Yes, yes, it's hideous gold color would (and should) turn anyone away and it's a far cry from the lovely Pinterest example.  But just LOOK at that arcitecture!  And the SIZE...oh my! (Notice the ruler in the center for judgement)  It was perfect!  So in the cart it goes and off to my home for some TLC.

So after a trip to Joann's, a coat or two of Heirloom White spray paint, a few dabs of hot glue and here it is!


Yup, that's the same one!  The Pinterest inspiration sells for $80 on Esty and I made mine for well under $30!  And just because I am SO proud of it...here are two more detail shots:



So, don't be afraid to find something ugly and make it beautiful!  It can be done!!

7 comments:

  1. This is amazing!!I love it!!! i want to make one. I also saw the cheese grater one i thought was cool on pinterest! Great job friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is cuter than Pinterest!! Great job...now get sewing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh i love this!!! jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I made a not so fancy version of this on my blog a while back too :) Your blog is way too cute, I'm a new follower! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well, I love making new bloggy friends!

    Amanda {little b}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Amanda!! My blog is a work in progress (as you can see), but I am a new follower to yours as well! I look forward to seeing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through pinterest and I am in pure love!! That earring holder is pure genius! I am in LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete