Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Great Expectations


Whew!  Life has been busy, busy, busy!  There are days when I'm not even home all day!  It's good thing my little boy is a great traveler!  I honestly think he gets his best sleep while I'm running errands.  I was running around Tarjay yesterday with this little face checking me out: 


I have to say, he was staring at me so intently, I was kind of freaking out a little.  He was so still, not blinking, not responding to me when I spoke to him and then - the droopy eyes!  I knew he was tired!!  Okay, enough about my little guy and on to today's topic.

I fancy myself a pretty good baker.  I love it, and I think I'm pretty good at it.  I know if I bake something, 90% of the time I know what I'm getting in the end.  Yesterday was no exception.  I found this bran muffin recipe that sounded pretty good.  One reviewer had even said it rivaled the Mimi's Cafe bran muffin!  Well if THAT'S the case I HAD to whip up a batch.  I made some modifications to the recipe (which is nothing new) and popped those babies in the oven.  I patiently waited my 20 minutes, smelling the loveliness emitting from my hot kitchen.  BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!!!  

Whoo-hooo they. are. done!  
(you can tell I'm excited, yes?)

I scoot on into the kitchen, plunge my hand into my Ove-Glove and yank open that oven door to find 

cat throw up.

Okay, so maybe not literally cat throw up.  But these muffins were NOT as pictured.  They didn't have the cute little muffin tops all golden brown and happy.  They, in fact, did not rise at all.  They looked like big clumps of dried cat throw up.

Where were my sweet honey bran muffins I waited to patiently for?  What went wrong?  I mean, it's a simple enough recipe.

Then, the thought came to my mind:

 That's life.

You have all the plans in the world - you've got your recipe to life...then - BAM - it's not what you expected.  You're sure you did everything right, and 90% of the time, you know what you're getting into, but when that other 10% hits, watch out!  So I suppose my bran muffins taught me this...Life may not always be pretty, but ultimately, it will still taste good!

For those of you who just HAVE to know what dried-cat-throw-up-bran-muffins look like, I still styled and took photos of the them...enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Haha!! Had to go back to the top to look at your cute kid just to get that picture out of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They kind of have the look of horse turds also. :o) Thanks for the laugh AND the lesson. And, yes, I too scrolled back up to look at that sweet face!

    ReplyDelete