Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DIY Macro Lens

I'm sure it's redundant, and maybe one day, I'll have a fresh idea of my own to share, but I *HEART* Pinterest!!!  Today, I came across this AWESOME photog tip!

I'm completely in love with my 50mm lens.  It's super fast and takes the most lovely photographs.  I'm so glad it was the first {okay, and let's be honest, & only} lens I bought when I got my Cannon Rebel.  Despite my love for the 50 there are some things it obviously can't do, like {BIG duh} take any other length photos - which means I can't take macro photos with it.  Macro photography was always an interest of mine, so I was bummed when I couldn't do it.

Well not anymore!!

I came across this article from Alex Beadon Photography that showed you how to easily convert your 50mm lens into a macro lens.  It's so easy, it makes you feel stupid.  You take your 50mm lens off of your camera, flip it around so the front lens is now touching your camera body and take your shots!  The only downside to this method is that you must hold the lens up to your camera while you shoot.  I do know there are attachments that you can get for your camera bodies that will allow you to use your lens in reverse...I may have to look into it now!!  There is a learning curve with this method, so your first pics are still a little blurry, but I plan to practice!!  Here's what I had done just fooling around this afternoon with it: 


{Hey!  Whose CUTE kid is that?!  And he has the most FANTASTIC eyelashes!!}


I admit, this "before" picture isn't the best, but just go with it.

Well, if you're lucky enough to own a DSLR with a 50mm lens...try out this trick and snap away!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cool little trick! Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this trick! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try it out! Loving your blog still, so many fun posts!

    ReplyDelete